Friday, November 26, 2010

Turkey with a side of Anesthesia

    Thanksgiving is a big time for my family. Of course a holiday always involves a drive back to the old home town to spend a few days with the grandparents, cousins, in-laws and out-laws and more home cooking than the law allows in most cases. K and I both have large families so we do our best to balance our visit between the two groups. That balancing act isn’t the easiest thing in the world to do when it has to be squished into just a few days but somehow it always works out.
    As I drove down Tuesday, I sort of pondered on exactly what this holiday would mean to me this year. In a lot of ways, this Thanksgiving will be a hard one because it’s been a long, rough year for me physically. Anyone who lives away from family understands how difficult things can be if you have to travel or become ill. I’m immensely blessed with family members who have come to my aid when we’ve gotten in a bind. If I’ve needed them they’ve come, no questions, they just show up and pitch in. I’m a lucky girl in lots of ways but especially where family is concerned.
    On December 3rd my family will pitch in again and help K, the boys and me get through a very rough couple of days. December 2nd, we will leave at five in the morning to travel to Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee for a pre-operative visit with my super-duper Endocrinologist Dr. Broome to discuss the surgery he will perform the next morning. Friday at 9:00 a.m. he will be removing my right adrenal gland because it has a tumor in it. The mass has caused a condition called sub clinical Cushing’s, and it’s a nasty little slice of misery in lots of ways. The doctor’s say the mass is not cancerous but won’t know for sure until it is removed and analyzed.
    I am so not a fan of being put to sleep, being cut on or really being any form of patient for any reason. I’m pretty irritated by the whole situation, truth be told. It will be a difficult surgery and there are some risks but anyone who knows me won’t be surprised by that because I can’t seem to do anything the easy way.
    Sister will be entertaining the boys for the days we are in Nashville. Mom and Dad are going with me to the hospital. Once again, my folks are stepping up to hold us up in tough times. There really aren’t good enough words for how wonderful my family is.
    That brings me back to my pondering of Thanksgiving. I’ll be giving thanks for lots of things this week but especially for my family, my husband, my boys, my friends and answers thanks to the miracle of modern medicine. If I’ve neglected to tell you in person how blessed I’ve been to have you in my life, let me do that now by saying thank you.
    Pain medication-induced haze can result in some pretty strange posts and text messages so I'm going to be out of the loop for a week or so. If you get a message from me that makes no sense, or a Facebook post that sounds like I've been smoking dope, now you know what the problem might be. As my family and I ride this next phase in the healing process, please remember to lift all of us up next week because I know we will need it. Happy Thanksgiving y'all and here's to many happy and healthier ones to come. 
Till then,
KD
      

No comments:

Post a Comment