Wednesday, September 7, 2011

EVERNEATH!! Happy Book Birthday Brodi Ashton!!

EVERNEATH    *This is a post featuring Brodi when she visited my blog a while back. Since today is
EVERNEATH's book birthday
I thought I'd repost it for everyone. Today is a HUGE day for Brodi along a very long road from idea in her computer files to finally a book that can now be held in the hand. I'm sure she'd appreciate hearing how and where you picked up your copy of EVERNEATH. Give Brodi a big ol' book birthday shout out on her web page( http://brodiashton.blogspot.com/), twitter (@Brodiashton) or facebook page*

Today on the blog I’m proud to announce a special guest. A while back, I had the pleasure of “meeting” some new writer pals through a twitter game aptly named #wordwar. One of those lovely ladies is Brodi Ashton.

  Aside from winning the #wordwar burrito, consuming more diet Coke than the law allows and entirely too many cinnamon bears, Brodi is the author of EVERNEATH. The first in a planned trilogy, EVERNEATH is scheduled for release January 24, 2012 from Balzet + Bray/HarperCollins.
    Because she’s cool like that, Brodi has agreed to address a few questions for the blog J  So let’s give her a huge blog cheer! *whistles and cheering ensues*

Katie: Thanks for visiting Brodi.  I’m so honored to have you on the blog.

Brodi: Thank you so much for having me!

Katie: First, tell us a bit about EVERNEATH.

Brodi: Everneath is the story of a girl, who returns to her high school after a long mysterious absence. As the book goes on, we learn where she’s really been, and what’s coming for her in six months. All she wants to do is reconnect with the boy she left behind, but an immortal has followed her home, and he has other plans for her…
Okay, I just wrote that on the fly, and I don’t know if I’m very good at summaries. So please check out the Goodreads page. J

Katie: What inspired you to write EVERNEATH?

Brodi: The very first scene in the book shows a girl on her first day back at high school. She is trying to get her life back, in the face of rumors and tough questions. This scene was inspired a little bit by a couple of girls I knew in school, who went through rough times and reached a point where they tried to recover the life they had before.
So, that first scene was inspired by a real situation. But the rest is purely fictional.

Katie: One of the questions I wanted to address in our conversation is the importance of reaching out to others in the writing community. From my own experience, writing can feel isolating at times. What are some things you do to combat that closed in feeling?

Brodi: One of the biggest pieces of advice I can give is to surround yourself by like-minded people! Find a good critique group. Go to conferences. Even blogging can help you not feel so alone. Because in the end, writing is a solitary endeavor. We all end up alone with our thoughts, in a room somewhere, trying put story to paper. Sort of like your own insane asylum.

Katie: How influential has your group of writer buds and Critique group been in helping you through the process of writing, submissions and now being published?

Brodi: My own critique group, The Six, has been invaluable. They give me ideas, support when things aren’t going so well, laughter when all I feel like doing is crying, and they celebrate every step with me.

Katie: I know you’ve been very busy working on a second book. How has that process differed from the experience of writing EVERNEATH?

Brodi: A deadline. A DEADLINE! The first book I wrote completely on my own terms, and I could often wait long periods of time for inspiration to hit. But with a deadline, sometimes I can’t afford to wait. Sometimes I have to write, even though my “muse” is nowhere to be found. And then I have to write some more. It has definitely been a learning experience.

Katie: I appreciate you allowing the blog into this tiny piece of your world. I know you’re covered up with work so I won’t keep you any longer. Thanks so much for taking a moment to visit. Any advice you can pass along to new writers about finding friends in the industry?

 Brodi: Like I said before, conferences. Online forums. Don’t be afraid to reach out. Don’t be afraid to try on a few critique groups till you find the right fit. Don’t give up. 

Author, Writer, Typist. #1 Crazy since 2009.*Brodi Ashton received her Bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Utah and a Master’s degree in International Relations from London School of Economics. She and her husband live in Utah with their two sons. For more information on her work visit her website follow her on (Twitter @Brodiashton). Everneath can be found on (Goodreads.com), (Amazon.com). and (BarnesandNoble.com).



No comments:

Post a Comment