Saturday, August 6, 2011

Number Two's Big Day


    Hey y'all! Betcha thought I'd abandoned you again right? Nope. Not me. I'm here for the duration. I have to say though that this summer’s activity agenda proved daunting for even an over-planner like me. 47 hours behind the wheel in June and July had me raising the white flag very quickly. Throw in two active boys and there just aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done. What that all means is my writing schedule and blogging went the way of the Dodo for the summer. Good news though, school started Thursday!! Woohoo!!

    A little bit of business first of course. A big ole blog welcome to new followers and the two most recent countries collected on the blog, #34 Ghana and #35 Pakistan. Thanks so much for visiting and please drop by again soon.  
    Most of our activities this summer were focused on fun but on July 23rd I had the privilege of attending Number Two's wedding. For those of you new to the blog, Number Two is the second half of the two coolest nieces in the world. And what a gorgeous affair it was! The Sister in Law did a spectacular planning job and the finished product was a scene straight out of Southern Living.

    Most people when they go to a wedding, or really any event, focus on the action, the decorations, the music and yada, yada, yada. For me, I couldn't take my eyes off The New Mr. and Mrs. Number Two. I swear it looked like that boy could eat her up with just his eyes. And what a banquet it would've been because Number Two was a satin swathed vision of beauty, as you can see from the photos.
    As a proud Auntie, sitting on my little white chair with the salty air blowing in my face, I did my best to absorb every expression, every smile and each flick of the eyes that passed between them. But since I’m also a writer, I made a study of their expressions and stored that information away. Vows of love and commitment, words full of promise passed between them all while tears of joy flowed. Both their faces seemed back lit with a soft humming light of love. You might think it's weird to watch people that way. As a writer, witnessing such pure and radiant emotions is better than winning the manuscript lottery.

    Writers dig around in their own brains for new ways to express love, passion, pain etc. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to come up with a new way to express my characters feelings over and over again and keep it fresh. To bear witness to such a bounty of different emotions filled my creative tank to overflowing and my heart with happiness for Number Two.   
    Most of all, because Number Two holds such a special place in my heart I couldn't be more overjoyed that she's found a love like that. It's rare these days. So if you have someone who drinks you in with his/her eyes, savor it. Roll that feeling around on your tongue like a sweet candy then let the love soak into your soul. More importantly, treasure it. Hold your love close and thank the person who holds your heart for that gift.
To quote one of my favorite movies:

"Love is a many splendid thing, love lifts you up, all you need is love." Moulin Rouge

    This afternoon I’ll be sitting in my office with a big fan blowing on me and writing a very inspired love scene thanks to the newlyweds. It’s too hot in the south to go outside. So take inspiration from the new Mr. and Mrs. Number Two. Turn the AC down and snuggle with the one you love.



Till Then,
Katie



No comments:

Post a Comment